Friday, January 29, 2016

Pack Rat gets replacement parts

This week my husband, Pack Rat, went in for knee replacement surgery.  He had been having difficulty with pain in his knees for several years.  In the last year it has become increasingly more difficult for him to walk.  So after a year of seeing an ortho doctor (who I say is a highly trained, highly paid mechanic) he made an appointment for the surgery. 

The surgery was on Monday about mid day.  He did all the prep and was following instructions for not eating or drinking prior to surgery.  As we were driving to the hospital he almost told me to turn around and go home. 

Pack Rat, "Let's just forget this."

Me, "But we are on the way to the hospital.  Everything is ready to go"

Pack Rat, "I'm not sure if I can do this"

Me, "You told everyone you were having surgery today.  Do you want to tell them you chickened out?"

Pack Rat, "Well, if you put it that way I guess not.  We can keep on driving"

He had the surgery and everything went fine.  The Mechanic (his ortho doctor) said the surgery went beautifully and he definitely needed it.  He would feel so much better once he completes physical therapy and is all healed up.

So now we are in the midst of physical therapy, lots of drugs for pain and other things and he is enjoying all the attention of the people who are calling him and visiting. 

To be truthful I am exhausted.  I came out of this with a renewed appreciation for nurses and the wonderful care they give patients.  (A shout out to the IU Health Saxony Hospital nurses - you are the best!).

We are making it through the week and each day is getting better.  Hopefully I can hold on until Pack Rat is mobile again and back to work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment.