Friday, January 22, 2016

Honor and Love

"There is nothing so sacred as honor, and nothing so loyal as love"

Inscription on the headstone of Wyatt and Josie Earp

This inscription was posted on Facebook by another one of my writer friends and I wrote it down to remember.  It seems so fitting to be on the headstone of Wyatt Earp, one of history's great honorable men and his wife Josie.  Wyatt and Josie were one of the celebrated love stories at the ending of the western/cowboy era in the United States.

Pack Rat, otherwise known as my husband, loves the entire Tombstone/Shootout at the OK Corral legend.  He has watched the movie Tombstone (the Kurt Russell version, not the Kevin Costner version) so many times I have lost count.  Often I will walk into the family room while he is watching television and see a scene from the movie,

"Watching Tombstone again?" I say.

"Yep" he replies.  "It's not to my favorite part yet"  His favorite part is the shootout.

I don't think I have ever seen "Tombstone" in its entirety. I have watched portions of the movie and then I usually get distracted or go and do something else and then return later.

Together the Pack Rat and I have visited Tombstone Arizona several times.  We love walking the streets where Wyatt Earp and his brothers walked.   We have watched the re-enactment of the gun fight.  We have also mingled with many other fans, spending the day in the Arizona high desert soaking up the history.  Over the years I have purchased him an entire western outfit, including the hat, sheriff's badge and long duster similar to those worn by Wyatt Earp.

So back to the inscription, I love the words honor and love.   With the addition of the word, faith, they probably can encompass the philosophy of my life.  Treat others with honor, love the people in my life and have faith in the power of God.

It was probably Josie who had the words put on the headstone (because Wyatt passed away before she did) but it is a fitting tribute to two very fascinating people.  I hope I can live my life so well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment.