Tuesday, January 12, 2016

Mucinex has stolen my creativity!

Since returning from Tennessee after Christmas I have been sick with the sneezing/coughing/sinus crud that seems to be going around.  I have been coughing so much that my brain hurts!  The only thing that seems to help - other than lots of sleep and possibly alcohol - is Mucinex.  It dulls my cough and has me feeling like I am slowly on the mend.

The only problem is that Mucinex makes me feel somewhat out of touch with myself.  My mind feels mushy and sluggish and I seem to have lost my creative edge.  I was going to write about this yesterday then read a blog written by several writer friends of mine (www.wordwrangers.blogspot.com) and Liz Flaherty beat me to the punch.  She did a great post about being sick with the same thing and how it was affecting her.  Liz is one of my favorite authors and I have had the opportunity to meet her at a few Indiana Romance Writers of America events.  After reading her post I thought, "I have nothing to add to that!"

So then after hearing about the death of David Bowie I thought I would write about that until I read a post by J. T. Ellison (another of my favorite authors) and her love for David Bowie.  She did such a wonderful recollection of her love for that performer that I thought there was nothing more I could say that would be any better.   Although he has not been in the limelight much in the last few years David Bowie was a pioneer in living on the edge and pushing boundaries with his music and his life.

This morning I was going through YouTube looking for videos for the class I teach and I ran across the video of David Bowie and Freddie Mercury singing Under Pressure.  It took a moment to reflect on these two quirky and eccentric yet very talented performers who are no longer with us.  It just makes the world a little less musical to realize that we are losing many of those very talented people from the 1980's as they are aging.

So back to the Mucinex - I am finding that my mushy, cold medicine soaked brain is just not working right now.  So I will continue to enjoy the work of others who are much more creative and make more sense than I am able to at the moment.  Hopefully next week I will be thinking more clearly.  I just hope I have not lost my creativity totally.  No, it is still there just hiding behind a wall of cold medicine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment.