Friday, November 2, 2012

Gratitude

It seems like November is the month for gratitude.  I am seeing people posting things for which they are grateful on Facebook and in blogs.  One of my favorite authors, Liz Flaherty, is doing a daily gratitude list on Facebook.  So I thought I would start my November posts with my own list of things for which I am grateful. 

This is a wonderful time of year to be thinking about the things for which we give thanks.  Within the rhythm of life we are celebrating the harvests and getting ready for the cold days of winter.  As a lifelong resident of the Midwest I am grateful for the change of seasons.  The weather may change within a matter of hours yet there is nothing better than the chilly snap of a Fall day or the new growth of Spring.  I am even grateful for Winter because it allows us time to gather together on cold, dark nights and enjoy our own company as family and friends. 

I am grateful for family and friends.  I am also grateful for my faith, knowing that I am not alone on this journey through life.  I have a wonderful husband and we are still in love after over 30 years of marriage.   My son is doing well in his career and is in a fantastic relationship with a young woman I love.  My first grandchild will be born in February. 

I am grateful for an employer which allows me to work on my doctorate as well as gives me opportunities to grow and develop as a person.  I love coming to work most days because I am immersed in the culture of education and get to experience the joys and frustrations of my students' journeys. 


So think about those things for which you are grateful.  Take a few minutes every day to say "thanks" for all the things in your life you often overlook.  You may find that you become more of a "glass half full" than a "glass half empty" type of person when you focus on the things that make your life a little better. 

Back to Liz Flaherty, if you want to read a wonderful book get her novel "One More Summer"  I'm so glad I have it on my e-reader because it is a book I will read many times. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment.