Thursday, May 18, 2017

Just toss me in the deep end of the pool

This week I started my new job.  It is totally different from what I have done for the last four years.  I am at the same employer but now I am in the facilities operations area, not in anything to do with academics.  It was a switch I wanted and looked forward to happening.  I am working for the same employer so I understand the systems, the people and the culture.

That is where it ends.  There have been a steady stream of people stopping by my door to say hello and then to give me their opinion about how things are working in my new area.  I have had suggestions about staff and how they are working (some well, some not so well).  One person has turned in their resignation this week and another is on an extended medical leave. 

I told my boss I have a running list of items I need to review with him and find out how he wants me to work with him and the department I supervise.  Yikes, this is fun and exhilarating and scary and overwhelming. 

I know I am up to the task and soon I will find my "new normal" but right now I am just treading water as I am working my way around the deep end of pool.  It will get better and soon I will feel like I know what I am doing. 

Wish me luck.  How have you managed taking on the tasks of a new job?  Do you have any tips for me? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment.