Monday, November 9, 2015

Choose Joy

Recently I was talking to a friend about an acquaintance of ours who spends her time wallowing in negativity.  This person can take any conversation and turn it into a rant about the horrors of her life within seconds.  I told my friend that I have found myself avoiding that acquaintance because I just don't like how she makes me feel with her negative take on everything in her life.

I am one of those people who can easily slip into depression.  I have battled it all my life.  Things seem to go along fine and then one day I seem to be looking at life from the bottom of a pit of despair.  Before I know it I am living in a world full of grayness and looking to get out of the pit and see the sun again.  Sometimes I can stop the slide into darkness and get myself heading into the right direction before it gets too bad.  Yet sadness and negativity are insidious, they inch themselves into your psyche and you don't even know it until you find yourself in the pit again. 

So knowing my personal struggles it amazes me about the number of people who live their lives wallowing in the negativity rather than choosing joy.  For me, joy beats darkness any day.  I would rather see the world through the lens of joy because the darkness is scary.  Some people are so negative and critical of everything in their lives that I have chosen to not be involved with those people.  

Several people I know are also battling the darkness.  It becomes especially difficult when we are facing the long winter days where it is difficult to see the sun and enjoy the outdoors.  I send encouragement their way sometimes they are fighting for their lives. 

So my advice for today is "Choose Joy."  Don't let yourself be drawn into the pit of darkness and negativity.  Be grateful for the blessings in your life and look to find the light rather than the darkness.  I will work on the gratitude and happiness also.  A joy filled life is what I wish for everyone. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment.