Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Mansplaining and the Grammys

Mansplain - (Of a man) explain (something) to someone, typically a woman, in a manner regarded as condescending or patronizing:  (www.oxforddictionary.com)  

So this week I am getting in touch with my feminist side and talking about the 2015 Grammy Awards.  My husband and I watched a portion of the show (until I got bored and went to bed) and got to see the moment when Beck was awarded the album of the year.  Kanye West in his typical, rude, condesending manner went to walk on stage when Beck was accepting his award.  Yet this time, (unlike when he interrupted Taylor Swift receiving the same award in 2009) he walked away before totally interruping the moment for Beck.  

It's interesting to me that research is showing that women are interrupted and their voices drowned out by men in business and social situations.  This happens often to the point that female voices become silenced and their ideas are lost.  So Kanye, being the chauvinist that he is, felt totally comfortable interrupting the award speech for a post adolescent female (Taylor Swift) but was unwilling to interrupt a man (Beck) as he was accepting his award this year.  

As a woman I have experienced being interrupted (many times) in business and social situations by men.  I have also experienced having the floor and being "talked over" by a man in meetings and social gatherings.  Usually I just give up and allow myself to be silenced.  That is my issue to deal with and resolve.  

Yet as a watching audience we have now seen a great example of how a woman can be interrupted in a defining moment in her career yet a man will not have the same experience (even though he was trashed on social media by Kanye later). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment.