Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Losing Weight in a Digital Age

In January my husband and I decided to join Weight Watchers.  Both of us needed to lose weight and become more active.  So we both joined and I downloaded the app to our smart phones.  In the past it has seemed that when my husband and I work on dieting or eating better I am doing the work for both of us.  I'm not that good at losing weight and doing it for two people is virtually impossible! 

With the Weight Watchers app we can both track what we eat and know how many points we have consumed for the day.  I can scan food packages and even put in a recipe and it will calculate the points per serving.  My husband can track his own food and I am not trying to figure out what to eat for both of us. 

Since I was working on being more active I also researched and purchased a Garmin Vivofit activity tracker.  Now I know how many steps I have done at any point in the day and how many more I need to reach my goal.  The best/worst thing is the little red line that appears at the top of my tracker screen telling me I have been inactive for too long.  Yikes better get up and start moving again. 

The Garmin VivoFit and my Weight Watchers app talk to each other telling each other how active I have been each day.  Probably at some time in the future I will begin to get text messages or phone calls saying "Hey lazy, get off your butt and start moving!  You have calories to burn!" 

To be honest it has been surprisingly easy to follow the plan, count points and make sure I am moving more.  Of course in the 4 weeks we have been doing this my husband has lost 25 pounds to my 10.  We will see which one of us reaches our end goal weight first. 

Time to get up and start moving again.  That little red line on my VivoFit is getting longer! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment.