Wednesday, August 21, 2013

The Highway Twins

I live on one side of town and my office is on another side of town.  So every morning I make the drive around I 465 to go to work.  It's about a 40 minute drive so while dodging the crazy drivers who are trying to text and drive at 70 miles an hour I get to notice what is happening around the city. 

One thing I have noticed are two Indiana State Police officers who patrol this stretch of highway.  Both are motorcycle officers.  I have never seen their faces.  All I see are their huge police motorcycles and then the two of them dressed head to toe in black with their visored helmets. 

They usually are on one particular stretch of the highway.  One officer will be posted to the left of the road standing up with his motorcycle between his legs.  He has a hand help radar gun to his face and is measuring the speed of the oncoming traffic.  His partner is usually a few hundred yards further down the highway waiting for the word to catch someone who is speeding.  Those of us who travel this highway every day know to watch for them and to slow down. 

Several times a day some unsuspecting driver, thinking speed is more important than safety goes cruising by at significantly more than the speed limit and,

Bam! They are busted! 

Twin number one tags them with the radar and twin number two chases them down with lights and sirens going.  It's probably a surprise to these motorists that there are motorcycle highway patrol officers working the interstate. 

I don't know anything about these guys,  in fact I would not even be able to identify them.  I have only seen them in their full, head to toe black, with their helmets and visors. 

I appreciate the work they do.  Keeping the highways a little safer is an important job.  They are there, rain, shine, summer and winter.  It takes a certain amount of courage, and probably a little of being an adrenaline junkie, to chase down a motorist on an interstate on a motorcycle. 

Thanks guys!  Your work is appreciated.  If you would only get that idiot who passed me this morning at 70 miles an hour with his cell phone on his steering wheel trying to text and drive. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment.