Thursday, June 6, 2013

Why are We Still Waging War on Women?

This week I have struggled with a topic to write about.  One thing which has been in my mind started with seeing a video clip from FoxNews where two male correspondents were debating with a female correspond about the topic of women working.  Recently there has been research cited in publications that for 40% of families in the United States the woman/wife in the relationship out earns the male/husband in the relationship.  Many of these men are stay-at-home dads who fill a vital role in that family.  In the FoxNews clip the men were saying that it is the woman's role to raise children and stay home.  They were basically saying that all the breakdown of society is because women have stepped out of their role and started working outside the home.  What century are you guys living in??  Even though significant research data was being cited by the woman in this debate the men were ignoring all that and trying to impose their version of what is "right."  I happened to catch this video on AOL.  Now I know why I don't watch FoxNews! 

This came the same week a group of male United States Senators have been meeting to define when life begins in pregnancy and to impose upon the entire nation a law that abortions cannot be performed after 20 weeks of pregnancy. 

I'm not here to argue abortion, pro or con, or when life begins.  My argument is that why are we having this upswing of men who think it is all right to try and push women into roles they deem as appropriate?  I am tired of being viewed as a cause or as someone who needs direction and guidance.  Why can these men continue to do this to half the population of the United States? 

One time my son and I were having a discussion about social change.  He was lamenting that it seems as if change does not happen.  My response to him was "Mobilize your friends!  Get your message out!   You have the technology to make huge social changes if you work together, register to vote and get your candidates in office!"  He did not take me up on the challenge. 

As women in the United States we have the same challenge.  "Mobilize your friends! Get your message out!  You have the technology to make huge social changes if you work together, vote and get your candidates in office!"  

Right now I am starting a new list in my smartphone memo.  I am keeping track of those politicians who I feel are anti-women or want to impose their view of how women should act upon me.  Elections are coming and I will be working to make sure changes happen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment.