Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Who Controls Your Schedule


Lately it seems that my schedule is controlled by my two dogs.  Buddy is a 15-year-old Retriever mix.  He has been totally spoiled by my husband.  Buddy is deaf and practically blind.  He has arthritis in his hips and back legs.  Until recently he was taking Rimadyl for pain but started to have liver problems so we had to take him off the pain meds.  So now he is being treated by an acupuncturist for pain.  He gets a treatment about every 4 - 5 weeks with a veterinarian who is trained in acupuncture for dogs.  For a few days after his treatment he is young again, jumping around and feeling much younger than his rather advanced age.

Allie is a Chow-Lab mix, who is nicknamed "her highness" by my husband.  She is the alpha of the two dogs and rules supreme at our house.  She mainly likes me and tolerates my husband.  As is usual with Chows, Allie is very protective of her space and does not like strangers.   Allie's favorite thing is life is taunting Buddy.  Whenever I give both of them treats Allie will hold onto hers until Buddy's is gone.  Then she will shove it away from her until Buddy goes for it.  Then she can growl at him and let him know she is boss and it is her treat.  Every once in a while Buddy will get smart.  He goes to the window and barks like something is there so Allie will run to the window barking.  Then Buddy will swoop in and take her treat.

My husband and I usually joke that we exist to maintain the dogs' schedule.  The day begins with a walk right after the sun comes up.  Then it's breakfast and morning nap for the dogs.  Then they get a noon walk and share lunch with my husband.  Then it is afternoon nap, then snack then late afternoon walk.  Once I get home from work it is dinner for both of them and then the day ends with the final walk and a snack.  What a life!  Deviation from their schedule is extremely stressful for them and for us.  If I forget something Allie will come to me and tap my leg with her paw, telling me that something is amiss and needs to be remedied.

We have had a couple of health scares with Buddy and were prepared to let him pass on.  Yet he was not ready for the next phase of his life and rallied.  I'm not sure what Allie will do when Buddy does pass on because she will not have anyone to bully or taunt once he is no longer here.  Buddy has had a wonderful life and we know his time with us is limited.  My husband and I just hope that his life ends peacefully here at home with all of us who love him (even Allie).

I have had dogs for most of my adult life.  I'm not sure what it would be like to not have my day scheduled by their needs and activities.  Recently a friend of mine lost her beloved dog.  She has said that she will not get another dog right away.  I have found that dogs find me when the time is right for them and for me.  In the end, I enjoy having my life controlled by the needs of my dogs.  Without them I would never know the joy of walking down the sidewalk and exploring all there is to see and sniff (on their part).  My life is much fuller and fun having shared it with these creatures who control my schedule, probably more so than I control it.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment.