Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Educational Journeys are not Easy








Over the holidays my husband and I were watching television and this commercial played.  It is one of those commercials where you are watching it and saying to yourself, "what is this for?"  If you take the time to watch it above you will find out it is an advertisement for the University of Phoenix.

Yet while I was watching this and tears came to my eyes it reminded me of the educational journey so many people experience.  It can be a lonely journey where you find yourself separated from your community and family, although still physically a part of both.  It can be a journey where your friends do not understand what you are doing, and maybe are a little put off by your perseverance and persistence in reaching your goals. 

I work at a community college.  Every day I stand in awe of many of my students who work to overcome numerous obstacles to reach their educational goals.  Many are the first in their family to attend college.  So a large part of my job is not just advising them academically but also helping them navigate the culture and rules which make up college.  I often check up on my students asking how they are doing in classes and also how they are doing in life.  College is not easy and for many the support, or just acceptance, of their family, friends and community means the difference between success and failure.

I returned to college in my 50's to complete one of my educational goals, getting a doctoral degree.  For over six years I pushed myself to complete that goal.  It was not an easy journey, I almost quit several times.  I carried textbooks and reading material to family events, hospital rooms (both my mother and stepfather passed away during this time) and sometimes sporting events.  Because of the support and encouragement of many people I completed my goal.

What are your goals?  Do you think about returning to school to try something new?  Do you want to train for a physical goal?  Do not allow yourself to be discouraged.  I am so happy I said "yes" to the challenge rather than doubting myself and never trying.  






No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment.