Monday, May 18, 2015

Lessons from Comcast (Part 2)

Sometimes I wonder am I an idiot or just a glutton for punishment?  A few months ago I wrote about my experience with Comcast and the decision to leave that provider after many years.  We moved to AT&T Uverse  after they gave us an offer we could not refuse.  Then I learned the following:

Lesson #1 from Comcast - when you want to try and re-negotiate your Comcast package don't call customer service.  Call the cancellation department (or what they call the customer retention department).  They will make you some great offers to stay!  

Unfortunately I had already had Uverse installed and thought I would live happily ever after with AT&T.  Well I was wrong.  My husband hated the channel line up we got.  We could not get CBS "on demand" - it was not available in our area.  Then we could not get a stable WIFI connection in our house.  I really did not want to be in my house and using my data plan for my phone! 

So I called AT &T and we parted ways.  A Comcast sales person had left a flyer and a card in our door.  It was some great offers and since we had moved to AT&T we were now a NEW CUSTOMER just what Comcast (and most other providers love!!!) 

So after the salesperson visited us and made us some great offers we settled on a plan which included home security for less than we were paying AT&T.  I had to sign a two year agreement to get the pricing I wanted.  So I signed the agreement and thought all is well!

WRONG!!!

Comcast installed our new system with all the new bells and whistles.  Fine, Fine, Fine.  My husband was happy, he had his channels back.  I was happy because I really do prefer Comcast - at least the WIFI worked. 

Then I got my bill.  WHAT!!!  It was significantly higher than what was on my 2 year agreement.  They charged me for things that should have been free (installation, digital receivers).  Then they charged me for the installation of 4 new jacks in my house on a day there was no technician in my house. 

I called customer service (talked to Candace).  She was unable to help and told me her "superior, Al" would be calling me back to sort through the problem.  No call, no change on my bill.  So I was able to get to a vice president of Comcast locally.  He was very helpful but I still had to send him a copy of the agreement so they could correct my bill. 

The other problem was our phone (xfinity Voice) would not stay on.  It would work for a few days and then we would get the message "No Line"  That issue is still not fixed but the vice president has got several people involved and we think we are on the right track.  In talking to customer service people they have asked me "who was the technician who came to your house"  I don't know!!  Don't you have that in your system.  Unfortunately once a service ticket has been cleared all records are eliminated from the system.  So they don't know who came to my house and did not fix our phone problem and also charged me for service not done.  No wonder as a company they have a culture of blame. 

So here is Comcast lesson #2:  Get the name and customer service number of everyone you talk to on the phone and every technician who comes to your house.  Evidently Comcast does not keep track of those things!!! 

Now I have to admit that in the midst of this journey with Comcast I have talked to some wonderful people who seem to be great employees focused on making my experience as a customer the best.  They are working to resolve my issues with the phone and with my bill.  I am sure it will be worked out sometime soon.  When all is done Comcast does have the best stuff (equipment, technology and offerings) so once this is all worked out I will be very happy.  Of course in two years my agreement will be done and I will be calling them again to negotiate a better price.

Although in two years who knows what the technology will be for home internet and entertainment? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment.