Monday, July 8, 2013

Mornings with Ronan

My grandson, Ronan, lives in another city and state from where I live.  He is currently 5 months old and growing and changing almost daily.  Because of my work and school schedule I only get to see him about once a month, when my husband and I can take a long weekend and travel the five hours to his parents' house.

So my son, Ronan's dad, set up the baby monitor/web camera so I can log into it and check on him.  My favorite time to do this is in the morning when I wake up.  Ronan's mom has an early work schedule so usually I catch them when I get up at 6:30 AM.  They are on Central time (we are on Eastern time) so it is an hour earlier at their house.  So most mornings I get to see Ronan waking up, starting to make noises and move around in his crib.  On a good day I get to see his mom wake him up.  She will often tickle his tummy and make him laugh as he wakes up to a new day.

I am so happy to have these few minutes to check in on my grandson as he starts each morning.  I can see how he is growing and progressing and say a prayer of thanks for this miracle in our lives.  This is one type of technology that has allowed me to pick up my smart phone and check in on my grandson most mornings and just spend a few minutes with him, even though he does not know I am there.  This is technology that I eagerly embrace because it allows me to connect with those people I love even though I am far away. 

Ronan is fortunate because while his parents work he spends his days with his great-grandmother and cousins.  I am envious that I am not there to be an everyday presence in his life.  Yet, I don't begrudge his great-grandmother the opportunity to be with him daily.  He is surrounded by family who love him and cherish him every day.  What a fortunate little guy.

So I will keep checking in on Ronan and getting my daily dose of this little guy.  I have just set up a Skype account so we can chat live.  I'll talk about that when we get a chance to visit online.  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment.