Friday, May 17, 2013

How do you sign off?

I am currently an instructor at a community college in Indiana.  I teach psychology classes, Introduction to Psychology and Lifespan Development.  In the Lifespan class we talk about humans through all the stages of life, pre-birth, infancy, childhood, adolescence and adulthood.  One of the stages that is very interesting is the Emerging Adulthood stage, roughly ages 18 through 25.  In this stage humans are transitioning from childhood and adolescence to adulthood.  It is characterized by stretching limits, trying new things and often acting before thinking.  When my son was in this stage he was making many unwise decisions, which is very common in this stage especially for human males in the United States.  He was taking many risks as part of his emergence into adulthood.  My husband and I used to comment that he and his best friend could not make a wise decision between them. 

During this time I became so concerned for his safety that I thought that every time he and I said "goodbye" to each other would be the last.  I was so concerned that after we saw each other he would make another one of his poor choices (along with his best friend) and that would be the end of his life.  So during that time I decided that he would never leave my presence or get off the phone without me telling him "I love you."   I did not want his last thoughts on this Earth to be of me yelling at him and telling him he had done something wrong again. 

That practice has carried onto his adulthood now (he is 31 and his best friend is 33).  Both of them and the beautiful women in their lives have survived.  In fact my son became a father this year himself.  So now when I talk to him, his fiance or my new grandson I tell all of them than I love them before we say goodbye.  This is not because I fear for their safety and choices but because I want them to know that my love for them is steadfast and continuous. 

I continued this practice with all the other people in my life.  This has been very comforting to me since my mother died in November of last year.  I know that the last time I saw her she did not know who I was becuase of her advanced Alzheimers disease.  I'm sure that as I was leaving she was wondering who this stranger is who is telling her "I love you, Mother."  Yet I hope as she took her last breath on this Earth she knew that she was loved by the people who were important to her. 

So how do you sign off with the people in your life?  Do you just say "goodbye" or text an "LOL" or do you let them know how much they mean to you?  Take a second and make sure that those people who are important to you know it and they hear it or see it in a text.  This is important.  As I tell my students during class, "Write this down, it will be on the test."  Remember, sometimes you may be stacking the deck in case something happens in the case of my son and his wild years.  Or it may be the last words you say to your parent or someone you love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment.