Monday, December 31, 2012

Happy New Year!

As 2012 draws to a close like many other people I am reflecting on the past year and hoping for the new year. 

Looking back it is easy to focus on the negative things that happened in 2012.  My mother ended her journey in this life after a long battle with Alzheimer's.   Two of my sisters battled breast cancer, going through surgeries and exhausting treatments.  My husband and I lost several friends, who died this past year.  We have struggled financially.

Yet when I look at the past year through a different lens I can see how we were blessed tremendously in the midst of trials and sadness.  The end of my mother's life was an answer to prayer as her Alzheimer's had progressed to the point that she did not know us any more.  My sisters' journey through cancer has shown us what strong and resilient women they are.  My husband and I have learned to live with less and appreciate what we have. 

Other blessings this year, my son is in a great relationship with a wonderful young woman.  They are engaged and expecting their "first" child in February.  I'm looking forward to being a grandmother and experiencing that phase of my life.  I am two classes, comprehensive exams and one dissertation from completing my doctorate.  This has been a five year journey that has demonstrated to me that we are never too old to return to school and acquire learning.  I am also grateful to have an employer who values me as an employee and has supported me in my educational journey. 

Next year will bring new life as our extended family expands with the addition of grandchildren.  I'm not expecting everything to be perfect next year but I do know that with the support of family and faith nothing is insurmountable. 

I wish you all the best next year.  May you be able to look at the things that are negative in your life and see them through a new lens also. 

Happy New Year.  May 2013 be a year of new beginnings, blessings and wonderful opportunities. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment.