Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Will They Like Me?

As I mentioned in my profile I am a college professor.  In addition to my full time job, as well as being a student, I teach one college level class a semester.  This semester I am teaching an Introduction to Psychology class at 8:00 in the morning. 

Since I am also a student stepping into the professor's role for a class is a paradigm shift for me.  I always worry, "will they like me" or "will I do a good job"  Each class begins with trepidation and worry but as I ease into the role of "professor" I find that it is something that I can embrace and enjoy.  It was really quite an awakening for me to realize that I am the one leading this class.  Once I had realized that I was able to relax and let the class happen. 

I have found that a great class is energizing and fun.  When we being our time together as a group sometimes magic happens and it is one of the most exciting experiences I have.  Yet when we have a bad day as a group or something does not fit together well the time can be interminable.  I prefer the magic days to the days where it seems I am plodding through the material. 

So today I started with a new class of students.  We meet at 8:00 AM so most of them are just waking up, or getting off a job where they worked all night.  This group seems receptive and open to discussion so that is a positive.  They laughed at my jokes and answered when I asked questions of the group.  So far we are doing well.  I hope this is a great journey of discovery with this group of students. 

But, I still will wonder - "Will they like me?" 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment.