Friday, June 24, 2016

"Wait! Back Up! I Saw Something!

Last weekend my husband and I traveled to Tennessee to see our grandson (and his dad, our son).  Between the work done by my husband and son, and with summer their busy work season, it is difficult to find a weekend when both are available.  Last weekend our son was in town but had rehearsals on both Saturday and Sunday.  He said if we would come to his house he would be able to have his son for the weekend if we would be there to watch him during the day.

My husband and I jumped at the chance to have two entire days with our grandson.  He is now three and is so much fun to be around.  We spent the time watching his favorite shows, running around the yard and playing with his toys.   Although he no longer takes an afternoon nap we were able to negotiate "quiet time" each afternoon.  That was at the request of Grandma (me) because, to be honest I needed it!

We also had the opportunity to take our grandson to the grocery store.  Our son had been traveling the last two weeks so he needed a few essentials from the store.  Taking Ronan was an experience I will not forget soon.

Ronan, our grandson, agreed to ride in the cart so we could keep him somewhat contained while shopping.  We did not remember that a child in a cart is at the right level to see all the things he most desires - based on the marketing geniuses who stock grocery stores.

So as we were traveling down the aisles we often heard, "Stop!  Back up!  I saw something!"  As we would back up the cart then we would begin the negotiations.

Ronan, "I need this!  It's perfect!"

Me, "Ronan, I don't think your dad would want  you to have this super soaker.  He will need to let us know if this is allowed."

Ronan, "Yes he will, I know"

Me, "If I call Daddy will he say yes to the super soaker?"

Ronan, "Well, maybe not."

As grandparents you have to find that delicate balance between saying yes to everything your grandchild wants and knowing what will never fly with his parents.  So you learn the fine art of negotiation.  Instead of the super soaker we decided on some mustaches.


So the mustaches were used on everyone, Ronan, me, the dog.  His grandpa did not get a mustache because he already has one.   Fortunately I got mine before it was used on the dog. 

Being a grandparent allows you to get in touch with your inner child.  I would not wear a mustache for anyone else but my grandson! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment.