Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Unconnected and Hating (maybe Loving) It!

Last Saturday night my husband and I went to a hockey game (Miami University Redhawks vs University of North Dakota - Miami won!).  As we were getting everything in the car and taking off I thought I had put my cell phone in my purse.  When we stopped for gas about an hour away I realized that my phone was not in my purse.  I had left my phone on the counter in the kitchen.  When I realized I did not have my phone there was no time to go back, we had an event before the game and wanted to make it for warm ups for the team.

As I was driving the last hour to Oxford Ohio I was thinking what would I do with no phone?  Usually during the game I am sending and answering texts, both from our son and some of our players who lived with us.  Then I am checking hockey scores at other schools and keeping up on the news.  I was not sure how the evening  would go when I realized I was unconnected.  Of course my husband had his phone so we were not totally without communication but it's not the same as having my own.

The game was great.  Miami played really well and soundly beat North Dakota (6 - 3!).  I had a fabulous time talking to other parents and friends of ours at the game.  With no phone to play with I had to focus on the moment and what was happening there at the game, rather than multi-tasking as I usually do.

As we arrived home later that night I realized that I did not miss having my phone.  Yes I had to "catch up" on how my other kids did in their college games but the information was there for me to check.  I had spent the entire night in the moment of where I was and not splitting myself between all my interests.  Being totally in the moment at that hockey game was an exhausting experience, I felt as if I had played the game rather than just sat in the stands and watched.

I don't know if I will do this regularly, I really don't like not having my phone with me.  Yet I may more often put it away in my purse and just be in the moment I am experiencing, it was wonderful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment.