Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Mike's Garage

My husband and I have a friend who is an excellent automobile mechanic.  He used to work at a car dealership and then at a neighborhood gas station (one of the few that still have a garage attached).  After some physical problems and just getting tired of the "crap" he decided to get a different job and stopped working at a garage. 

But amazingly enough the garage followed him.  Now when he gets home from his regular job at about 5:15 every night he opens his garage door and "Mike's Garage" is open for business.  Recently I was there getting a new air conditioner unit installed in my car.   Mike set up a lawn chair for me to sit in as he worked.  It was a pleasant evening so I was enjoying the weather and reading my Kindle Fire. 

While I was there Mike and I were discussing which heavy metal bands we both enjoyed.  He recommended a couple new ones for me to check out.  It was not long after the opening of the garage that people started drifting over or stopping by.  First it was a neighbor who returned a tool and asked to borrow another one.  After a brief discussion about how to do a certain repair he returned home.  Then another person stopped by to ask about how to do a home repair and borrow a tool.  Then Mike's step son stopped by to drop off some type of equipment.  While all this is going on the heavy metal music is blaring and Mike continues to work on my car.  I read my Kindle but really was watching the unfolding of the interactions as Mike juggled multiple tasks and conversations. 

It was fun to stop and visit at Mike's Garage for that evening.  He did get my car fixed (and at a great price).  In addition I have some new bands to add to my iPod, thanks to his recommendation.  I also got to see a community at work.  Mike's Garage is the gathering point for his neighborhood and his family.  People drift in and out, based on their need and maybe just the desire to connect.  Everyone seems to know everyone and Mike is the focal point of all this activity.  He continues to work, pass out advice, loan and accept tools and is doing work he loves.  For someone like me, I got a great deal on a repair on my car while having a chance to watch a community in full swing. 

Recently I stopped by again to have Mike give me a consultation on a noise I was hearing in my engine.  The door to Mike's Garage was open then also and people were gathering.  I asked him if that happens every night.  He said that those who know him know that if the garage door is open he is "open for business." 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment.