Monday, January 21, 2013

Reaching the End

For the past 5 years I have been striving toward a long term goal.  I have been working toward a doctorate in education.  So I have attended classes, written papers, submitted proposals and completed all the work toward that goal.  Now I am at the critical part of the work, my comprehensive exams, research and dissertation and oral defense of both.  I can see the end of the journey and it is very exciting. 

The problem is that the final steps I must complete are an individual journey.  Although I have people cheering me on and providing support the final steps are something I must complete on my own.  The difficulty is that I am a huge procrastinator.  I freely admit that fault and it has been the subject of many of my journals and papers during my educational journey. 

I see this as a character flaw and something I must conquer to reach this goal.  So I make lists and check off grids and give myself pep talks to stay on task.  I know I will reach my goals but it seems that I have to get to a certain level of stress to finish a big research/writing project.  I really admire those people who know they have a goal and get it done early, with minimal stress.  Maybe they are the opposite of me, in that they get more stressed if they don't start early.  How can I get an infusion of that type of personality? 

So if you are reading this send me some good thoughts.  I will be working hard at my computer finishing my comprehensive exam questions or my dissertation proposal over the next few weeks. 

What keeps me going is that I know this is something I can accomplish and in December 2013 I will be walking across the stage at my college accepting my diploma.  Oh happy day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Add a comment.